Sunday, July 28, 2013

Gay, same-sex attraction, and same-gender attraction

Let me distinguish something real quick in the words I use. I call myself "gay" simply for the convenience of the term. It is much more of a mouthful to say "I struggle with same-gender attraction."

The word "gay" carries baggage in it. It usually implies a lifestyle, denoted by its acts. But that's not what I'm implying when I call myself gay- it's simply a more convenient term I use. Same-sex attraction is better because it removes the lifestyle connotation.  In truth, I like the term "same-gender attraction" the best, because it takes the sexuality of the it and allows me to be a righteous Priesthood holder who just has a trial in this life.

So basically if I call myself gay, just realize I'm really using the meaning of "same-gender attracted" but it's just a heck of a lot easier to use a 3 letter word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do me a favor? Be nice.
I'm a human being, I've got feelings, and I'd sure appreciate if you'd be kind. I moderate my comments, and will not tolerate people speaking negatively about me, my family, or my religion.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it.
If you do like what I have to say, I look forward to hearing from you too.