Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Under the surface

I have a family member who is a physical therapist. He's a stud, really, and I think the world of him. He told us about a book called Spark. In it, it talks about a high school (I believe in the Midwest) where they have completely re-thought their physical education program. The book discusses studies done that shows the best time for learning is after physical exercise, while the blood is pumping so freely through the brain. (That's probably why I can't write legitimate sentences when I'm so tired!)

Kids at this school go to PE during zero hour, and then they have their hardest classes right after. Brilliant! But it doesn't end there. Their focus is to teach kids about their bodies, not just how to incorrectly do push-ups or play dodge ball.

The book talks about a certain girl in the class. She was a little heavier set than the rest, and struggled when it came time for laps. As much as they tried to push and encourage her, she just could not keep up. She huffed and puffed down the track, but always fell behind the rest of the class.

Then one day the researchers who were studying the class hooked up the students to heart monitors. They wanted to teach the students about heart rate and exercise, and how to keep it at a healthy level. They hooked the kids up, yelled go, and were shocked at the results. Who was working the hardest out there? Not the athletic kids who won the race, but that girl who continually fell behind the rest. Her heart was actually working much harder than the other students!

I was humbled when he told us that story, and immediately saw the connection. I'm standing there with our family, and only my wife has a clue I'm gay. Honestly, I don't know how they'd take it if they knew (but that's another story). The point is, they have no idea about this whole side of me that lies under the surface. I have friends who like to joke about gays- I think most of us do; it's something they honestly don't understand, and are probably a little afraid of. And little do they realize, as they're making the jokes in front of me, that I am gay. Granted, I've decided to not stand for it. They'll probably also change their tune about joking if I tell them, but that's beside the point. The point is there are people all around us that have things under the surface- and we have no idea.

It's humbling when you think about it. We pass people around us every day, and have no idea what their story is. We have no idea what they're going through. A friend's husband left her recently. Another friend and his wife are unable to have kids. Another friend was in a nearly fatal accident that left him with brain injuries. Another friend's son was in the hospital with an unknown disease that nearly killed him.

You would never know it from the outside. They put a smile up on their face- no matter how fake it may be- and do the best to carry on with their lives.

You would never know it was me if you passed me on the street.

I love "God Loveth His Children." It brought peace to me at a time I had very little. It says,
"Some people with same-gender attraction have felt rejected because members of the Church did not always show love. No member of the Church should ever be intolerant. As you show love and kindness to others, you give them an opportunity to change their attitudes and follow Christ more fully."
Even though Christ was mocked and scorned, he always showed love. I want to do that. I know firsthand what it's like to have something under the surface that people don't know about, so I want to be considerate of that for others. I want to show support and build up, not mock and tear down.

So if you're feeling a little rejected, perhaps alone and unsure of yourself, remember you're not alone. Many have felt that way. But remember, each of us is a beautiful person within- even if you can't see it yourself.

And if you need to talk, drop an email my way. As someone who totally understands, I'll be glad to listen.



1 comment:

Do me a favor? Be nice.
I'm a human being, I've got feelings, and I'd sure appreciate if you'd be kind. I moderate my comments, and will not tolerate people speaking negatively about me, my family, or my religion.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it.
If you do like what I have to say, I look forward to hearing from you too.