Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I just gave my wife some fashion advice

For the record, most of the things people associate with being gay just drive me nuts. I don't flip my hand when I talk, I don't have a lisp, and I don't wear makeup. Seriously, come on.

But, I did just give my wife some fashion advice. I think it surprised her too. I guess I have to admit, there are some stereotypes that fit the bill here. I thought it would be fun to share my real-life examples.

Recently I decided I'm tired of putting so much effort to "not come across gay." I've been afraid for so long of people finding out, but I have been so much happier since I decided to just be who I am. The list is rather extensive, but these are a few examples of what it's like being a gay, married Mormon:

  • We have moved a lot since we've been married, and thankfully were blessed to purchase our home last year. Whenever we move, I usually end up doing the interior decorating. It's always gratifying when people come over, see our new home, and say to my wife, "Oh, I love it! You did a great job decorating!" Then comes the awkward moment when she tells them I did all the decorating..
  • I recently tried my hand at sewing, and did a pretty decent job. I am so tired of dress shirts that don't fit! I'm sorry, but just because I bought the "athletic cut" does not mean it fits me right- they all bunch up in the back and it looks like I'm trying to blow up a balloon back there. So, I borrowed my sister's sewing machine and stayed up past midnight a few weeks ago and sewed all my shirts. Not perfect, but there's actually some form to the shirt now. I'm in heaven.
  • Clothes has always been a tough subject for me. I won't deny, I love new clothes. My wife will readily agree- I shop for clothes a lot more than she does. (Not shoes though- she wins there) Since I came home from my mission, I've been increasingly picky on what I will and won't wear- it's high time they fit me right! In high school, the shirts my mom bought for my birthday and Christmas were usually a medium. I now wear nothing but small, or even extra small. Gut check, yes, part of me probably is trying to make my muscles look better by doing that. But, at the same time, It's not flattering to wear a shirt that bellows over my torso. My wife refuses to purchase clothes for me, which is fine because that means I get to go shopping for myself.
  • Yes, I like chic flicks, and always secretly have. The Vow is an amazing movie. I also love While You Were Sleeping, and Return to Me. I also loved the Proposal. (Confession: talk about one of the hardest feats of life when there's that shower scene with Ryan Reynolds- I wanted to look, but I certainly didn't want to! My wife's jaw dropped because she was horrified at the scene; my jaw dropped too, but not because I was horrified...)
  • I actually have to drag my wife in for a massage. The first time we went, she really didn't enjoy the experience (she's much more content with a nice scratch on the back). I'm comfortable at the place we go now, so I've gone by myself twice now. It's amazing how tense my muscles can get, so a spa day is on the books.
  • And yes, I go tanning, usually 2-3 times per week. It just depends how much time we spent at the beach that week. My wife has yet to go (or approve)...

The NorthStar blog has a pretty hilarious list, "He might be a MOHO if.." I made the mistake of reading that while at work. I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe at one point, which was awkward because I couldn't tell anyone around me what I was reading! Maybe one of these days I'll post that list with my own running commentary..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do me a favor? Be nice.
I'm a human being, I've got feelings, and I'd sure appreciate if you'd be kind. I moderate my comments, and will not tolerate people speaking negatively about me, my family, or my religion.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it.
If you do like what I have to say, I look forward to hearing from you too.