Thursday, August 15, 2013

I'm the refurbished model.

Last night I had a "close call." We had been at the beach all afternoon enjoying this gorgeous weather, and came home to change. Several times after- and in different places too- the temptations started rolling in. Out of the blue. And hard. Ugh.

What saved me? We had to go to my parents' for something. It had been planned all day. Whew. By the time we got home, by mind was elsewhere and things were fine.

Fast forward to this afternoon; I got home from some meetings mid-day and was exhausted. My youngest was throwing up all night (once in my bed too- not fun!!) so we didn't sleep the best. I wanted nothing more than a nap. I was on the couch with my blanky, ready to drift off to dreamland, until I remembered all the work I need to do to keep my clients happy. Ugh. So I got up and hopped on the elliptical for 10 minutes. I hit it hard, and got off feeling great.

So now here I am, eating fresh peaches and cranking up some tunes (currently "Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap). I'm cranking out some work, getting things done. I'm happy. Optimistic. (Gay) as ever, but that doesn't have to get in the way of true happiness.

Moral of the story: a change of scenery often helps. Sometimes going into the other room is enough, others it isn't. Sometimes it takes a great deal of distraction to get out of it. But it can be done! I could have easily fallen to the temptations- after all, it's not like Satan hits us when we're strong. He waits until we are weakened, and then hits hard- and sometimes we do fall. But the joy of the Atonement is that we can be redeemed.

Yesterday a friend joked that I'm a squeaky clean Mormon boy. I laughed in his face and reminded him just how gay I can be. He agreed, and decided instead I'm more of a gay-yet-refurbished Mormon boy. I'll take that- aren't we all that way? We sin, we mess up, but Christ's love- his Atonement and grace- take bad things away, and we become clean again. Worth the full value.

That's the good stuff that gives me hope, and I feel strong enough to keep pressing on.

2 comments:

  1. LOL ... this friend of yours sound like a pretty clever guy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha he's pretty awesome. It sure helps having good friends like that to joke and talk about these things with. :)

      Delete

Do me a favor? Be nice.
I'm a human being, I've got feelings, and I'd sure appreciate if you'd be kind. I moderate my comments, and will not tolerate people speaking negatively about me, my family, or my religion.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it.
If you do like what I have to say, I look forward to hearing from you too.