Sunday, August 25, 2013

The sheepish post: I'm back.

Ok, here comes the sheepish post.. I'm back. Not going anywhere. False alarm :)

I felt like I needed to stop blogging/emailing in order to keep my wife happy. After all, our relationship is the most important thing- we want it eternally, right? Well, after a long and difficult day, we talked things through this evening and uncovered the real issues that we needed to address. And they had nothing to do with my blog, so I'm back.

When we met with our counselor a few weeks ago, he told us that our marriage is a "non-traditional" marriage. Yeah, you could say that again. BUT, because of that, he said that many in our situation are able to reach a higher level. My wife and I have felt that to be true; we have engaged in conversations lately that take us to a new depth. Rather than my typical pattern of fleeing our arguments, we have learned to really sit down and work through things. This was one of those days where that was put to the test!

If there's any advice I have to give today, it's that. If you and your spouse are struggling, you're not alone. There are some deep and serious issues that need to be worked through. Sit down and talk. Be open and honest. Work through things- not in an angry, emotional way. That was me throughout most of the day- upset, grumpy, totally closed off. I felt alienated, alone, and like the world was against me. That no one cared about how I feel. That everyone around me things I'm this monster, waiting to break loose at any given moment.

This evening, I was finally able to talk through things without being all charged up. It took some effort, but we made some progress. We worked through a lot of things, and I think we're finding some good ground to stand on.

So my wife tells me now to go save the world, one blog post at a time. I don't know about the saving the world part, but I'm here anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do me a favor? Be nice.
I'm a human being, I've got feelings, and I'd sure appreciate if you'd be kind. I moderate my comments, and will not tolerate people speaking negatively about me, my family, or my religion.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it.
If you do like what I have to say, I look forward to hearing from you too.