Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Weird spot to be in

Photo by stevendepolo
We are spending a few days with some family, and may I just say- this is a little weird! We have made the choice to not tell them yet about my SGA- we just don't feel it's the right time yet. Honestly I don't know if that time will ever come, and that's okay. BUT, several times so far my wife and I have nearly slipped and said something. We're used to very open communication between us in the safety of our home, so it's a little hard at times to put those filters back on.

As we were all talking, 'NSYNC and other boy bands from the 90s came up, and my wife nearly made a joke about which one I had a crush on as a teenager (she had a crush on JC.. for me it just depended on the picture, since they changed their styles a lot) Wow, can you imagine how awkward that would have been if she had let that one slip?


We don't feel it's right to tell extended family right now. While there are some that we feel would be supportive, let's just say that others wouldn't accept it very well. I'm sure they'd love my wife and the grandkids unconditionally, but we're pretty sure I'd be treated as a ticking time bomb.

So in the meantime, it's really hard sometimes to keep my mouth shut. I guess that's normal, but especially hard to do right now. :)

1 comment:

  1. My standard on when to share with others including my kids was if it would bless them and not be about making me feel good. I also asked God to direct me on the timing. With my oldest child I had a dream about sharing my story. Trusting in the dream I shared my story which experience turned out to be almost identical to my dream. Some seem to be called to share their story to the world. Most others live quiet service filled life's being asked to share with only those closest to them. I think at some point you will come to understand what your ministry will be.

    ReplyDelete

Do me a favor? Be nice.
I'm a human being, I've got feelings, and I'd sure appreciate if you'd be kind. I moderate my comments, and will not tolerate people speaking negatively about me, my family, or my religion.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it.
If you do like what I have to say, I look forward to hearing from you too.