Friday, August 16, 2013

Don't leave me hanging here!

My wife had a cool experience today. She was sitting at the top of the stairs, and our 18 month old was crawling up the stairs. Half way up, our daughter looked up and saw my wife watching her. You could read the thoughts on her face- Really, mom? You're just sitting there watching me and not picking me up?? You think this is easy crawling up these stairs? Come pick me up- don't leave me hanging here!

And then my wife held her arms out for our daughter and told her to come up, you can do it. She quickly crawled up the stairs for a hug.

If you don't see any similarities and applications, you owe me a snickers bar.

Our Heavenly Father is like that. He's sitting at the proverbial top-of-the-stairs watching us, making sure we don't fall down.

But Father, we complain, why do I have to do this? Why on earth am I attracted to guys? I'll do whatever it takes for this to go away! This is so hard. I'm lonely. I hate this part of myself. Take this from me!

But instead, sometimes He just holds His arms out. He calls to us, invites us in. He lets us work for a little bit, but promises great things if we make the journey up the stairs.

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I beseech of you in words of soberness that ye would repent, and come with full purpose of heart, and cleave unto God as he cleaveth unto you. And while his arm of mercy is extended towards you in the light of the day, harden not your hearts. 
 Yea, today, if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.  
(Jacob 6:5-6, emphasis added)

Don't give up guys. Hang in there. 
Photo courtesy Flicker Creative Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do me a favor? Be nice.
I'm a human being, I've got feelings, and I'd sure appreciate if you'd be kind. I moderate my comments, and will not tolerate people speaking negatively about me, my family, or my religion.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it.
If you do like what I have to say, I look forward to hearing from you too.